About Schrades Posie Peddler
In 1910 Henry J Schrade decided to take the skills he honed growing up in Germany, and put them to good use here in the States. He opened Schrades Flowers and never looked back. His love of flowers would carry on for generations to come. His son William T Schrade balanced working with his father and maintaining his own greenhouse operation on Nelson Ave.
In the 1960’s William’s son John H. Schrade, in keeping with the family tradition, ran his own greenhouse and landscaping business. In 1974 he opened Schrade’s Posie Peddler at 328 Broadway.
In 1986 John’s daughter Gretchen purchased the Schrades flowers and ran both stores for many years. In 1996 Gretchen merged the two businesses into one. In 2004 Schrades Posie Peddler moved to a bigger location in the Congress Plaza. Then in the Spring of 2011, the business upgraded to it’s own property on West Avenue. In November 2020 Gretchen who was the 4th generation of the family sold the business to Tim Healy. It is the first time the business has been out of the family, ending a long tradition in Saratoga.
There, in the old red school house with the wooden floors and all the chalkboards, Schrades Posie Peddler found it’s home.